Treatments for seven conditions such as sore throats and earache are now available directly from pharmacists, without the need to contact the surgery.
The Pharmacy First scheme is now available in more than 90 per cent of community pharmacies across England including here in Wandsworth. You can skip the wait for a GP appointment by visiting your pharmacy if you suspect you have one of these seven minor conditions:
- sore throat
- infected insect bite
- uncomplicated urinary tract infections in women under 65.
Simply pop along to your local pharmacy for advice and a consultation – no appointment needed. The pharmacist will ask you about your symptoms and any previous medical issues. If they need to check your health record, they’ll ask your permission first to make sure any treatment they offer is safe and effective for you.
This helps the pharmacist to recommend the best course of action for you. This could include:
- a treatment bought over the counter
- a prescription-only medication they can prepare straight away for you
- advice if the issue will go away on its own
- referring you back to us here at the surgery for follow up if your condition is more serious.
Whatever is decided, your patient health record will be updated so we can be kept up to date about your health here at the surgery.